Before we get into discussing the Chatbot challenges, let’s start with understanding what Chatbots are and what could be the potential chatbot challenges while making one for yourself. We must have heard of and even used Chatbots in recent times. But for those who don’t know what Chatbots are, here’s a little insight. Basically, Chatbots are in short for “Chat Robots”. It’s a computer programme that simulates human conversation with a user in natural language, through the use of artificial intelligence. So what could be the challenges in building a chatbot?
Chatbots are widely used by different sectors of industries today, from banking to business, healthcare to agriculture and universities to airlines. Its main purpose is in the marketing aspect and providing quick and automated solutions to customer inquiries.
The concept seems to be very beneficial, reducing time and resource consumption, but is making a chatbot just as simple as it seems to be?
Programming these bots are complex in nature and need tech teams to constantly work on updating them. It requires a collective effort of both, human knowledge and artificial intelligence such as NLP, NLU, machine learning, deep learning and etc.
Let’s discuss some of the challenges that come into processing a chatbot and look into different strategies to overcome them the right way.
Challenge 1. “Bot-speak” and cold exchange.
As we know we’re conversing with a software fuelled by artificial intelligence, it brings forth a sense of loss of human touch in the conversations. The interactions could come off as cold and robotic, lacking personality and conversational flow. It could deliver the customer a clunky and even frustrating experience, resulting in less user attention where the customer loses interest midway of an interaction.
Hence, giving your Chatbot a personality is very important.
In order to overcome this challenge, the developers must look at different strategies before coding their context.
A few measures to add a human touch to your Chatbots could be-
- Greet your customer in a pleasing attitude.
- Inject humour and keep the tone of the conversation light.
- Engage the customer by making the conversation interactive, wielding techniques like asking questions and feedback.
- Keep the language simple. Difficult concepts must be crisp and in layman terms. Don’t overload the context with long messages.
- Make certain that your Bot is trained and prepared for unrelated questions. When a user asks unavailing questions, encode a response that politely refuses to answer the question, such as “Sorry- I don’t understand what you’re saying”.
- Use a real voice. This brings in the human element even more in voice-activated chatbots.
Challenge 2. Developing Chatbots can be costly.
Even though Chatbots can be cost-cutting in its operation and labour, developing it could be costly as it requires a high level of coding.
We use all platforms like websites, apps etc. Now if you want to implement chatbots in all those platforms, it will require even more coding which adds to the cost.
Instead of investing large amounts of revenue and time into developing new chatbots, you can instead simply purchase a chatbot that’s already available in the market with all your requirements.
Challenge 3. Appropriate use of NLP and Machine Learning
First, let’s start off by understanding what NLP means and does in a chatbot. NLP stands for Natural Language Processing which is an AI technology that interprets, recognises and understands user requests in a form of free language.
Sometimes it happens that certain chatbots have fixed NLP selection, which might not have all the necessary requirements that you look for.
In order to overcome this, while you plan to leverage machine learning to create your own NLP, you must decide upon the model prior to building the chatbot. It is important to weigh all sorts of models, ranging from generative to retrieval based models in order to create the intelligent chatbot that you require.
Challenge 4. Making data secure.
Usually, all your web data is secure, but adding certain chatbots to it, you can’t be certain that the API will be secure or not.
Data leak and hacking are prone to happen if proper security measures are not taken up. Each enterprise has to focus on encrypting its channels so that no data is leaked through its mediums.
While encryption can play a safe role in protecting your data, you can also take up the following measures to further secure your company data. They are:
- By using the ‘http’ protocol in your chatbot, the user information can be secured.
- Make sure there is no confidential information of your company encoded in the chatbots. People can collect them by manipulating questions and indulge in fraud.
- Understand and make sure the platforms where your chatbots are going are secure.
- Before your chatbot goes live, make sure you thoroughly beta-test all the security protocols in order to avoid any sort of mishaps.
Challenge 5. Chatbot testing.
This makes the whole process of independently developing chatbots even more complex. Chatbots are continuously evolving due to its up-gradation in its Natural Language means.
Hence, it’s necessary for you to keep testing your Chatbot to check for its accuracy and legibility. Purchasing chatbots from vendors reduces this additional responsibility, hence saving your time, labour and energy.
Challenge 6. Viability of data
Cluttering your Chatbot with excessive data or even inflicting technologically advanced systems will yield no results if your chatbot does not capture the USP for your enterprise.
It is not only necessary for your Bot to be enriched with relevant data but to also equip the capability of reaching out to your target audience through brand identity and awareness.
To overcome this, you could follow up on the questions below to keep regular check-ins:
- Are your virtual agents delivering to the targeted audience?
- How does it present your business goals uniquely?
- How is your product different and more beneficiary from the rest?
It definitely is a great idea to involve Chatbots in your digital marketing, yielding efficient results in less amount of time. But creating one that meets all the expectations of your organisation can be pretty challenging. Measure and implement effective and well-planned strategies before presenting your audience with your Chatbot.
The Engati chatbot is the ultimate solution to all your worries.
- You can build your bots without the need for processing and coding tool. You can literally create bots in under 10 minutes, for free! Click here for a demo.
- It is also available on many platforms and is easily accessible. Consisting of one single code base for all, it saves your time and is easy on the pockets.
- It is a Saas based platform. It is built using advanced open stack technologies, giving you the experience of high-class technology and better performance.
To know more, please visit us at Engati
Also, read our blog to understand more about chatbots here